Monday, May 30, 2011

Zucchini Parmesan with Garlic Polenta

I think I'm finally starting to get back into the swing of things in the kitchen. The Texas heat sure doesn't inspire me to cook though. It inspires me to order a pizza or go out for tacos and a beer. I just need to get creative and limit my time spent hovering over a hot stove. I don't particularly like sweating.

A friend shared this blog with me a few months ago and I've finally gotten around to trying one of her recipes. I love the author's logic. Eat 80% healthy and 20% good. I think the last few days I have been more like 60/40.

Onto the recipe.

3 medium zucchini, sliced 1/4" thick
3 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1/2 cup grated Parmesan
Salt
Pepper
Italian seasoning
Jarred marinara sauce (I used Muir Glen Roasted Garlic)

4-6 cloves of garlic, minced
2 Tbsp olive oil
3 cups vegetable stock
3/4 cup polenta
2 Tbsp grated parmesan

1. Preheat oven to 450. Grease a large, rimmed baking sheet. Set aside.

2. Toss sliced zucchini with olive oil until well coated. In a shallow baking dish, mix together bread crumbs, cheese, salt, pepper and Italian seasoning. If you use seasoned bread crumbs you can omit the extra seasonings. Dip each slice of zucchini into the bread crumb mixture to thoroughly coat. Lay each piece in a single layer on prepared baking sheet. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.

3. While zucchini is baking, heat marinara over low heat in a sauce pan. In a separate saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Saute minced garlic for 2-3 minutes. Add vegetable stock. Turn heat up to high and bring to a boil. Whisk in polenta slowly making sure to break up any clumps. Turn heat down to low and continue stirring while polenta simmers. Cook for 20-25 minutes.* Stir in grated Parmesan.

4. Spoon some polenta onto a plate, top with zucchini slices and a couple tablespoons of marinara. Enjoy.

*For some reason when I cook polenta it never takes as long as the recipe says it's going to take. The original recipe said to cook for 35-40 minutes. Mine was done in half that time. I suppose it's possible that I'm doing something very wrong and my polenta would be way better if I cooked it longer, but I kind of doubt it. 

Right out of the oven.

Please excuse the color of my polenta. I used a really dark vegetable stock which turned my polenta an unappetizing brown mustard color.

Review - EXCELLENT! We all really loved this. Eli inhaled two bowls full. I couldn't believe it. I made the mistake of telling Josie I would make caramel corn after dinner so she needed a little help focusing on eating, but in the end she ate almost all of it. Jay and I both cleaned our plates. I'll definitely make this again. Hopefully next time I'll be able to use zucchini from my garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment